Main Site

AOTY is better than RYM

Not a fan of the track-by-track reviews either. Though there’s a pattern for what kind of albums and listeners use it. I notice they tend to be on more commercial albums, which makes sense given that the people who write them are usually more interested in albums comprised of a group of singles

2 Likes

AOTY trumps RYM in almost every way except in one unfortunate aspect—the database itself. I feel like the way the database handles certain things leads to a lot of data redundancy. Split EP’s being a prime example. I should be able to see Darkbloom on both the Grimes and D’eon page but instead, it’s subjected to having its own page which leads to searching problems. There’s also the case of artist aliases; the artist Yumi Matsutoya has been credited as Yumi Arai and Yuming on several different releases. I could simply add these releases all under the Matsutoya entry but once again that can lead to more searching related issues. There’s a lot of small issues like this that make for an unpleasant experience when trying to discover music but hopefully, these issues will be ironed out but It’s a certainly not an easy undertaking to design something this big.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s true. Other good examples of that are artists like Prince, Bob Dylan, and Nick Cave. I don’t like that, for example, Prince & The Revolution is different from Prince alone.

2 Likes

Now that you’ve said it, I’d say that track ratings on RYM is something that definitely is a pro to that website, and I’d say AOTY could have it too. It would most definitely reduce those kinds of track-by-track reviews significantly --if not, swipe them off completely-- and I can see it easily adapting into AOTY’s rating system. Really hope that Rob considers adding formal track ratings one day.

2 Likes

Working on a solution to this issue today. Could you give me a few more examples to test?

6 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Additional Artists for an Album

I agree, but I’ll have to use both.

AOTY’s better by default cuz Rob doesn’t protect pedophiles and ban/insult victims for reporting them :eyes:

“listen just because his name is RealShotacon doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a username”
yeah, on your site full of 13 year olds, RYM

me and a couple friends reported him, were ignored so we did it again, got an insulting blowoff response and got banned for “harassing” mods

Did anything ever come of this split EP testing? It’s still not an option in the dropdown menu

Unfortunately, AOTY’s database is still very small. It lacks a lot of important, older releases, and even newer ones. It would be nice if it was integrated to Discogs…

2 Likes

i wish there was a rym theme on AOTY i love everything on here besides the look and i LOVE the look of rym

I love AOTY, but… a problem is the delay in updating / correcting the catalog. Many correction requests made more than 1 year ago.

5 Likes

There’s still only one staff member, which isn’t nearly enough to actually keep a site like this up to date and looked after properly

4 Likes

AOTY has a lot less features but goddamn I fucking love the interface

3 Likes

I second that, sometimes I think that simplicity in this case makes the greatness

RYM has pretty bad modding too

2 Likes

Don’t use RYM, and definitely don’t give them money by subscribing. The mods are complete %$#^. If you get into an argument with a friend of a mod, you will be banned.

2 Likes

Same thing happens on RYM though and they have more mods.

Not a decent amount of appreciation of everything on RYM. There’s not a lot of appreciation for Christian music on there.

1 Like

I like RYM, but was curious if it’s possible to migrate all my ratings from RYM to AOTY? RYM has a CSV file attached to your account.