Main Site

Disappointments of 2016

Let’s hear which albums you were highly anticipating this year that didn’t live up to your expectations.

I can think of quite a few already, but am wondering if it’s just me.

Kanye can do better. He was never known for lyricism, but even TLOP set a new low for him. Even with the all the news regarding his mental health and tour shenanigans (I bought a ticket which was refunded), I respect Kanye as a person/musician. He creates a vortex of hate for himself, he’s an easy target for radio listeners. Lets not pretend your favorite musician isn’t an asshole; Kanye is the last “rockstar” left. And I use that term loosely, I mean in it in terms of behavior/attitude-- a loose cannon, if you will.

Anyway,
ASAP Ferg. His new album was cheap. He was shooting for the stars like Future did with ‘Honest’, create a huge hit and build mediocre to trash songs around it and voila, sells! Old Ferg is always a great listen, guess he’s on a new level :confused:

Isaiah Rashad? Sort of not really, I consider Rashad to be my second favorite TDE member, behind Kdot of course. And don’t get me wrong, I love Q, but Rashad is that older brother figure to me, musically. His words mean a lot to me and Cilvia Demo was an essential in 2014. Off his new album, there are 3 go-to songs I listen to daily, but there isn’t that charm and connection like there was on Cilvia.

Frank Ocean. I think I blindly allowed myself to get mixed up with the hype and anticipation where I listened without actually listening, if that makes sense. I held it on a higher pedestal than I should have but overall it’s a good/solid album, but no where near great. Eh.

Honestly, the most surprising disappointment of the year would have to be Painting With for me only because of how unbelievably hyped I was after hearing Floridada. Almost all of the other disappointments this year had bland singles before their release dates so I kind of knew what I was going to get, at least.

Pinkshinyultrablast’s new album also dropped hard for me very very quickly and pretty much defines what a sophomore slump is sadly.

Ugh, and I still can’t believe that ASAP Ferg’s new record is like a real-life thing that exists.

2 Likes

Blood Orange and The Avalanches let me down

Agreed. What’d you think of the previously unreleased track they shared recently? I wish they’d go back to making tracks that don’t have 100 different things going on at the same time.

Personally, I thought Mountain Game was pretty good. As for “Painting With,” most of the songs were meh, but I thought Golden Gal was even better than Floridada

Two Door Cinema Club
Kaiser Chiefs

Blood Orange’s Freetown Sound and The Avalanches’ Wildflower

I thought St Lucia’s album Matter was a pretty lackluster. I was hoping he would continue to grow on the 80s vibes that came with his first album.