Main Site

Your AOTY alter-ego

So we all have that one person who craps all over our favorite music. So who is your alter-ego on AOTY? Who is that one reliable user who can be counted on to slap a 40 or 50 on everything you rate an 80 or 90? For me, it’s good old Maxonrocket, who reliably dumps on everything I rate highly. Who keeps you humble?

you

1 Like

Bazinga

Can’t really name any specific people

…but I can’t trust those who rate MGMT’s Oracular Spectacular higher than Congratulations, those who rate The Flaming Lip’s late-90’s to mid-2000’s material over Embryonic and The Terror, or those who even dare to rate anything by Viet Cong/Preoccupations higher than anything by Women.

That is just wrong my dudes im sorry.

5 Likes

You can’t name anyone because you are the godfather of AOTY #tastemaker

tha138

Oracular Spectacular > Congratulations
Love, The Terror though.

1 Like

prove this

Time to Pretend < It’s Working 0-1
Weekend Wars > Song for Dan Treacy 1-1
The Youth = Someone’s Missing 2-2
Electric Feel > Flash Delirium 3-2
Kids > I Found a Whistle 4-2
4th Dimensional T < Siberian Breaks 4-3
Pieces of What > Brian Eno (Pieces of What sounds like it belongs on Congratulations) 5-3
Of Moons, Birds & Monster > Lady Dada’s Nightmare 6-3
The Handshake & Future Reflections > Congratulations 7-3

OR

Time to Pretend > It’s Working 1-0 (close, just overplayed)
Weekend Wars > Song for Dan Treacy 2-0
The Youth = Someone’s Missing 3-1
Electric Feel < Flash Delirium 3-2 (its close, just overplayed)
Kids < I Found a Whistle 3-3 (Its close, just overplayed)
4th Dimensional T < Siberian Breaks 3-4
Pieces of What > Brian Eno (Pieces of What sounds like it belongs on Congratulations) 4-4
Of Moons, Birds & Monster > Lady Dada’s Nightmare 5-4
The Handshake & Future Reflections > Congratulations 6-4

I mean either way I look at it OS is a better album, and Congratulations is just too much of an unfinished album, which falls apart too spectacularly at its end.
thoughts?

1 Like

All I have to say is that I can’t trust anyone who likes Art Angels.

3 Likes

Father John Misty fans make me queasy

2 Likes

Congratulations is actually better than Oracular Spectacular.

1 Like

hehehehe…

true dat

EMR, i guess

I just remembered I have a real answer to this question. It’s lolikr

1 Like

Who’s everyone’s one user that has ratings very similar to yours? In other words, what user do you tend to agree with most on here?

Chimecha honestly it’s probably you, as I’ve looked at your ratings before and realized earlier this year that our taste is extremely, to the point of eerily, similar

2 Likes

Great question, MarkCooper. No one for me. I think I’m an outlier because I tend to have higher ratings than most and I listen to stuff nobody else ever rates. I agree with pouls much of the time, but nobody enough to count as “similar”.

1 Like

I tend to agree with BuffaloStaples on most non-pop albums.

I was on AOTY like in 2014 first and I clearly remember how much JustAReflektor pissed the shh…oot out of me. I think this may be an answer - when I’m super serious about music (or I used to be in 2014) and sbd is creeping out with his trollism, I cannot stand this. Mostly because I’d love to have this “keep it cool” attitude.